Friday, February 19, 2010

101 Things to do for Lent (Not just for Catholics)

How's that for a title? Actually, this list is always at the ready for me when I'm looking for a direction to be the hands, feet, eyes for Jesus. Here we go:

Admit you were wrong to your parents (or your children) * Give someone a hug * Respond with compassion to people on the street * Instead of staring blankly as you walk down the street, smile * Watch "Romero" * Write a letter to a different person each day (or once a week) * Buy flowers for yourself * Read "The Return of the Prodigal Son" (by Nouwen) * Spend time with your parents * Give up chocolate, candy, or desserts * Listen to Beethoven's Symphony #9 * Volunteer at a homeless shelter * Go one day without using electricity in your house * Give up your cell phone * Write a letter each week to someone with whom you have lost contact * Apologize * Volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center * Take a long, slow walk outside * Listen to Gorecki's Symphony #3 * Give up caffeine or coffee * Buy flowers for someone else * Participate in a Jewish Passover Seder meal * Don't listen to music one day a week * Sit still and do nothing for 10 minutes a day * Go to Mass (or church) once during the week * Read a book by Thomas Merton * Write a poem * Visit a grandparent * Tell people you are proud of them * Learn something new * Go one day without using running water in your house * Pick out one weakness and work to change it * Give up TV or the Internet * Ask for help * Greet five people a day who look sad * Walk in the rain * Say thank you at least once a day * Read a book to someone who can't read * Spend time with your children one-on-one * Find a dream inside yourself - and follow it * Go beyond where you are * Volunteer one hour a week * Keep a personal journal * Take an art class * Listen to Barber's Adagio for Strings * Go to Confession * Watch "Shawshank Redemption" * Clean up your language * Call someone long distance once a week * Pray the Rosary * Find something you believe in - and act on it * Spend a few minutes in the chapel each day * Give up snacks between meals * Be more patient * Be less judgmental * Work for peace in the world - and in your home * Forgive * Be non-violent with your words * Join a support group * Be hopeful * Get enough sleep * Take care of yourself physically * Clean out your closet and donate what you don't need or use * Read the Sunday Mass readings ahead of time * When you want to buy something you don't need, donate the money instead * Fast * Give up perfection * Keep a prayer journal * Cancel magazine subscriptions you don't read and donate the money * Start each day with a scripture passage * Tell someone you love them * Participate in the Stations of the Cross * Pick up litter * Say hello to people you usually ignore * Make a list of things you like about yourself * Talk to God without distraction * Do something for a stranger * Say thank you to your parents * Watch "Schindler's List" * Tell at least one joke a day * Volunteer to babysit (for free) * Give up alcohol - and donate what you would have spent * Donate blood at the Red Cross (1.800.GIVE.LIFE) * Go grocery shopping for someone who can't * Watch "The Last Days" * Thank God for something you usually take for granted * Don't watch your favorite TV show and reflect on your day (no taping it, either) * Give up your snooze button * Keep a gratitude journal * Read "The Sparrow" * Give up makeup * Use a daily Lenten reflection book * Do one thing ahead of time each week * Give up soda or fast food and donate the money you would spend on it * Listen to someone you disagree with * Watch "Jesus of Montreal" (in French w/subtitles) * Substitute healthy snacks for unhealthy ones * Give up smoking * Buy a plant and nurture its life * Sit and relax when you eat * Appreciate beauty, truth, and life wherever they are found *

Choose one (or more if you are so led) from the list and do it today, This Day!

Peace and Joy,
Susan

Matthew 25:34-36 (NKJV) 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I like this...I think I am going to print this and do a few of them...I am desiring a closer walk with God and I need to sacrifice my flesh...

Thanks for the post
Tessa

Mari said...

What a great list! I'm going to print it off!

Joyce said...

I love this...there are lots of things on here for me. I'm going to print it out too. Thanks for sharing!

Melli said...

LOL! I will NEVER give up caffeine again! I had quit drinking coffee for 12 years -- and then a study came out that said caffeine helps keep Alzheimer's away! I started drinking one or two cups a day again and won't look back! If it can do THAT, it's worth whatever evils it may do!

THIS year I am not giving up anything. THIS year I am journaling one hour a day with Jesus! I read a great book by Becky Tirabassi called Let Prayer Change Your Life... she tells of her committment to spend an hour a day journaling her prayer - for life! And the difference it made. I decided if I can commit to it for Lent, it may become habit and I'll be able to commit for life too! I hope! I pray! Anyway... that is my Lenten offering this year.

Have a great day Susan! THIS day! Let it be filled with God's BEST for you!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This needs to be in front of me everyday and not just duing Lent!

Kim said...

A lot of good things on this list, but what is "Romero"?

christy rose said...

Wow! what a list! there is always something that can become a idol in our lives if we are not careful. Giving something up for Him helps us to keep this in check. He is not actually wanting us to not enjoy something that we like. It is just a check for us to make sure we are keeping Him in slot #1 where He belongs. :)