Friday, July 30, 2010

Flashback Friday - VBS





Mocha With Linda hosts a weekly meme called Flashback Friday. She’ll post a question every Thursday, and then Friday we can link our answers up on her site. Her church is in the middle of VBS this week which has brought back some memories from her childhood experiences with VBS and other church-related activities.
Did your family attend church when you were growing up? What are your earliest memories of church? Did you attend VBS (Vacation Bible School) when you were young? Sunday School? Other church activities? Was faith a Sunday-only thing or did it impact your life and the things you did? If faith and church were not a part of your growing-up years, when and how did you begin and what drew you to God?
A couple of cautionary notes. . . As far as I can tell, the overwhelming majority of my blog readers are Christian believers. This flashback is not intended to bring judgment on anyone's past or present experiences, nor is it meant to prompt theological debates or discussions of denominational differences.

**********************************************************

My parents divorced when I was very young. My dad was awarded custody of three children under 8. Can you imagine? That was practically unheard of back in the early 60s. I don't recall going to church as a family, and I can count on one hand the number of times I remember being in a church as a child after they divorced. Really, I wish my dad had seen the value in attending church for us, rather than seeing no value in it for him.

I have one particular memory of VBS as a youth. But other than the refreshments, I don't recall much about it. The church was nice. The people were nice. The other children were nice. The message? No clue.

It it not until much later in my adult life that I have memories of VBS. My in-laws always took my daughter along with the other grandchildren to church and VBS. My involvement (before I met Jesus)? I attended the program. Saw all their crafts. Listened to them sing. Their programs were precious and laughable. Really. Some of them were real hams on stage. Others fidgeted and couldn't remember the words to the songs. Then Jesus and I met F2F. Church and VBS have not been the same since. I see Him in their sweet faces. They are so eager to learn about Him and meet Him and share His story.  

As I look back, I can pinpoint specific instances and times when God was at work on my heart. Drawing me to Him. I am so thankful He did not give up on me. He is patient and kind and faithful. Have you met Jesus F2F? Let me encourage you to seek Him today, This Day. He is waiting for you with open, loving arms.

Peace and Joy,
Susan

Jeremiah 29:13 (NKJV) And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

4 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Loved reading your memories!

Nel said...

Amen Susan! Isn't it amazing when you look back over your life and you can see instances when He was trying to reach you, but instead we turn and go the other way. I am like you, Thank God he did not give up on me! Hats off to your dad though, as you said that doesn't happen often, but for sure not back then. Thanks for sharing!
until next time... nel

Skoots1moM said...

His faithfulness is wonderfully graceful ;)
i'm glad he didn't give up on you either!
you're precious!

riTa Koch said...

Loved reading the story of God's grace and love in your life!