Friday, November 26, 2010

Hello, We're the Griswolds

Thanksgiving dinner was delicious. The turkey was juicy and flavorful accompanied by mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, green beans, corn, and cranberry sauce. And of course rolls. So what was so "Christmas Vacation" about the dinner? The rolls. Not even kidding. But let me set the scene.

The table is brimming with food. Everything looks delicious and smells heavenly. My hubby is to my left, my daughter to my right. My SIL, niece, and "the cousin" grace the other seats at the table. We're passing food and filling plates. I ask for the rolls. The hubby starts poking fun at the shape of some of them. My SIL, who baked the rolls, explains that the cellophane stuck to the dough causing them to be misformed. Reasonable. I take my roll. It looks a little brown on the bottom and feels a little ummm hard. No biggie. A little butter or gravy will cure that. I place my thumbs on the bottom to separate the roll. My thumb implodes the roll as bread crumbs fall onto my mashed potatoes.  I get the roll open to find an outer shell with little interior. The husband looks at me and says, "Griswold Rolls." ahahahaha

For those who don't understand the reference....here the clip from the movie:


 Do you have a funny story of something that was said or done at your Thanksgiving? We'll definitely remember the "Griswold Rolls." 

Peace and Joy,
Susan

Colossians 3:17 (NKJV) And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

6 comments:

Joyce said...

Ha-always good to have a story to laugh about! I forgot to get rolls...no one minded since the last thing we needed on our table was one more carb! Between the sweet, mashed, and dressing we we were covered!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Is that not just about the best Christmas movie ever??? We watch it year around!
We left grandma out of the equation this year....she is pretty much the cause of any holiday chaos, as she is an extreme liberal amongst all of us conservatives!!! (no worries...she had a houseful of her unmarried kids!)

Mary said...

That is so funny! One of my favorite Christmas movies! I had visions of the turkey doing just that yesterday. YS brined the turkey, and we put it in the oven. This was the first time we've cooked it this way (one of my BILs usually does it), so I was a little nervous that I had 22 people over, and there wouldn't be any turkey! :D

KrippledWarrior said...

I love that movie. After Scrooge it's my favorite Christmas movie.

Anonymous said...

Susan, I really enjoyed this post...so cute! One for the memory books for sure. One of the funniest things from one of our past dinners was my brother told our nephew that the turnips were applesauce!!! You can imagine his reaction! ugh!

Lori said...

Funny story! The first family Thanksgiving I cooked for, the turkey would not get done. We thought it was, took it out of the oven and started carving it only to find out it was still raw, so we nuked the turkey that year. Christmas vacation is one of my favorite all time movies. Cousin Eddie emptying his RV tank in the sewer is the best!