Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Honor Our Veterans, Honor Our Flag

The auditorium is buzzing with activity and conversations. Bleachers are filled with familiar faces and home town colors. The basketball game is about to start when the emcee asks everyone to rise for our national anthem. I stand and face Old Glory with my right hand on my heart as the music begins. I mouth the words and sing them softly to myself. My heart swells with emotion. Then I notice him. He's standing several feet from me. He seems totally disinterested in the song. He still wears his hat. What's up with that? I want to purposefully walk over and snatch it off his head.






Did you know behavior towards our flag is public law? It's true. Public Law 110-181 states "all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute.

All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes."

Veteran's Day is Thursday. Please honor our veterans by showing respect to the flag they gave so much to protect; whether it passes by in parades or is displayed at the home town ballgame.

Thank you for stopping by and visiting.

Peace and Joy,
Susan

Isaiah 1:18 (NIV)  “Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.

3 comments:

gigi said...

Again, AMEN!!!!

Joyce said...

I really liked this. We were in scouts when we lived overseas. It was the US scouts, not Girl Guides which is the UK equivalent. Anyway, at ceremonies we said the pledge to the US flag (American children living outside the US need to learn the pledge somewhere!) but we always had a wide array of nationalities in attendance. We used to say, 'If you are not American we ask that you honor the flag of your own country at this time'...the school had all the nationalities represented with their flags hanging so it worked. Always made me want to cry when I'd hear our pledge said in another country.

See you in the 'hodgepodge' : )

KrippledWarrior said...

You go, girl. I got your back.