Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Christmas Song HodgePodge


1. Are you cooking Christmas dinner? How many will be round your table this year? What are we having?

We plan for seven but cook for eight (or ten). I love cooking Christmas dinner. We do something a little out of the norm. Your surprised, yes? After all the turkey and ham leftovers from Thanksgiving, who wants to do all that again? Definitely not me. I'm so over turkey right now. A few years ago we started a new tradition for Christmas dinner. Surf and turf. Steak. Standing rib roast. T-bones. Whichever sounds good. And shrimp. Or talipia. Or this year we're having Mahi Mahi sent overnight from Florida. We found a fabulous fresh seafood market while we were on vacation back in October and made the arrangements. I couldn't be more excited. Plus some extra special side dishes and a dessert that is divine. I'll post the menu another day.

2. What is one must-have Christmas cookie in your house? 
Snickerdoodles. Of which I have made none. They are on my "gotta do" list for this week.

3. Santa likes a glass of milk with his cookies. Do you? What kind of milk is on tap at your house-skim? almond? soy? full fat (Gasp!) 
I am a milk snob. I admit it. I drank whole milk for years. Switched to 2% a while back. I finally switched to skim milk a few years ago, but am super picky about the brand. Some brands taste like barely-flavored water. Yuck! But this brand actually tastes like milk.

4. Time magazine recently named their 'Person of the Year' for 2011. This is the person the editors believe had the greatest impact, for better or worse, in the past year. This year they chose 'The Protester'. Your thoughts? Who would you name Person of the Year for 2011? 

Nathan Lorick is my choice for Person of the Year. He is making a stand to keep a nativity scene displayed in his town in Malakoff, Texas.  Hear about his journey to speak out for the community's right to freedom of expression here. You can read about how God worked through this young man and his small community to bring glory to His name. What started out to be a small gathering of 150 people turned in to a huge crowd of over 5,000.

5. December 21st is National Flashlight Day... when was the last time you needed a flashlight and did you know right where to find one?

We have several flashlights positioned around the house and in both vehicles. I even have one on my Harley.

6. candy canes...yum or yuck?

Yummm. But I usually break them into small pieces that I can just grab and go. I like a hands-free type of candy.

7. What Christmas carol lyric means the most to you? 

"No crib for a bed." This verse speaks volumes about Christ's sojourn through this world. From humble beginnings to a borrowed tomb.  

8. Insert your own random thought here. Today's photo challenge prompt is Tiny Tots with their Eyes All Aglow. I don't have any tots at home any more. The grand-boy, who is now 10, would cringe at the thought of being called a tiny tot. And it's just not appropriate to take pictures of random children to post on the internet.  So I leave you with this video:


Thank you for stopping by and visiting. Please hop on over to Joyce's to read other participants answers or better yet, link up with your own.

Peace and Joy,
Susan

Psalm 91:1-2 (NKJV)1 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress;  My God, in Him I will trust.”

5 comments:

Joyce said...

Your dinner sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas Susan!

Hootin Anni said...

#3...I could've answered this this way. I grew up on whole milk...changed to 2% when I was pregnant with my first child...and finally, I now drink fat free.

Your dinner sounds divine!!

My two separate posts today:

1] New Orleans Conclusion
and
2] WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

Hope your day, so far, has been a glorious one.

Amanda said...

mahi mahi for Christmas dinner - I love it!

I can't quite get down to skim milk, but have been on 1% for a long time! I know what you mean about the taste.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Beth Herring said...

i love to read what others eat on Christmas! i too don't like to get bogged down into traditional turkey at each meal!

Anonymous said...

What a great sounding dinner! My hubby's brother was a chef at a hotel in FL for many years. I always enjoyed the fresh fish he prepared!