Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Once in a Lifetime?

That's what dates like today are......once in a lifetime. Of course there was 080808, last year which is similar, but not the same. Yet, this is the last of the single digits for quite a while. 1001 years to be precise. It seems like a good day to celebrate and look forward to.

Numerologists like to use dates to tell the future or proclaim eminent danger. Some soothsayers are declaring the end of the world. These same numerologists predicted doomsday would fall on June 6 2006 say they weren't wrong, they just got their numbers upside down. 999 is far worse than 666 and we're all going to die, it appears. Yeah right....whatever.

Then there are those who make lists or goals in "9s" for the entire year. Smile at nine people every day, lose nine pounds, make nine homemade meals every month (really? only nine every month? to me that isn't enough), and my personal favorite.....memorize the Twelve Days of Christmas and when you get to Nine Ladies Dancing....break out in to a dance. hahahah Really?

Of course, there are personal goals such as quitting smoking, walking nine miles, or sending cards or notes to nine people. I like that last one. Letter writing is a lost art to the internet and cell phones. When is the last time you received a hand written note that was not in response to a gift. A "just because I'm thinking of you" note or card? I love getting them. Hand written notes say, "I love you", "you're special to me", "you're worthy."

That will be my goal. I'm going to write a brief note to at least one person today, This Day and tell them how special they are to me....and to Jesus. Won't you join me?

Peace and Joy,
Susan


Psalm 143:10 (NIV) Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

That is fantastic. My husband had just come in right before this saying it's 9/9/9! I am going to tell nine people about God's love- some that know and some that don't! That wild idea just came to me. Thanks for the inspiration.
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Susan, It used to be fun as a young girl to get a box of pretty stationery as a gift. As you say, hardly anyone writes letter any longer. I always feel special when I do receive one.

KrippledWarrior said...

Deliver it on your scooter. Now that's SPECIAL DELIVERY...

Heart2Heart said...

Susan,

That is on my list today. I have three very special cards to send out to people that need to know that they are being thought of.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

gigi said...

This was such a great post.
Many blessings!