Monday, August 15, 2011

It's Been a Martha Stewart, Betty Crocker, Rachel Ray Kind of Day!

I knew today was going to be busy. That's probably why I couldn't sleep past 5:30. I actually woke up a little after five. I lifted my head to look at the clock. Made a sound similar to: "UGH!" and plopped my head back down on my pillow. I tossed. I turned. Ugh! There was no point in fighting it any longer. I tossed back the covers and my feet hit the floor. I've been on the run ever since.

After the usual daily routine, I headed out the door to the local farmer's market. Which, by the way, is overflowing with the most delicious produce right now. Green and red bell peppers, zucchini, peaches, potatoes, apples, corn, melons, jalapenos, onions, herbs, and so much more.

My list had many items on it and would require several stops to fulfill. Why? I'm so glad you asked. lol. This weekend's agenda includes zucchini relish, herb vinegars, sun dills, stir fry, pickled jalapenos, and pesto.

The relish, vinegars, and pickles are all on my summer gotta do list. I'm slowly whittling away at it. Last weekend I knocked another item off my gotta do list. I made salsa. TWENTY TWO pints of salsa. WOW! That's a lot of salsa.

There is so much work and time involved in canning. But the payoff is totally worth it. Besides the flavor, I know exactly what is in my food. No additives. No preservatives. It's wonderful. Plus....I love to share. :)

How are you doing on your summer gotta do list? Thanks for stopping by and visiting.

Peace and Joy,
Susan

Ephesians 2:10 (NKJV)  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

4 comments:

Yolanda said...

I love how you are always going the "extra".

Lovingly-
Yolanda

Joyce said...

I've never done any canning. Pickled jalapenos? My hubs would love that!

Sweet Tea said...

You certainly put me to shame.
I try to clear as much from my summer calendar as possible, so I can simply tend to the "must do's" and enjoy my favorite season. The real work in our house gets done Sept thru May...But then again, we don't have 22 pints of fresh salsa either. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have never done any canning either, but I sure loved it when grandma canned fresh veggies, jelly etc. when I was a kid. My favorite was pear preserves to have with her flaky biscuits!