Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Stirriing the Pot with a Cookie Recipe Exchange

 I'm having a Christmas Cookie Exchange this Saturday IRL so when Sara decided to hold a virtual cookie recipe exchange I was on board. There are several cookies I like to make every year, but these two are a must: Snickerdoodles and Walnut-Maple Drops. I acquired this scrumptious cookie recipe in 2002 from a Land O Lakes cookie recipe book. You know the kind. They sit at the end of the check out lane tempting you to look inside. So I did. lol It's the only place I've every seen this recipe. It's crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It has an unexpected flavor from the maple flavoring. Do try it. They're not your ordinary oatmeal cookies.

Walnut-Maple Drops
1 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup sugar
1 Cup Land O Lakes Butter, softened
2 eggs
2 teaspons imitation maple flavor
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats (I use old-fashioned)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 Cups chopped walnuts
60 large walnut pieces (enough for one large walnut piece on each cookie)

Heat oven to 350. Combine brown sugar, sugar, and butter in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (2 to 3 minutes). Add eggs, maple flavor, and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Reduce speed to low, add flour, oats, and baking soda. Beat until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Stir in 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts by hand.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper). Press walnut piece onto top of each cookie. (Don't skip this step.) Bake for 9 to 13 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely.

The Snickerdoodle recipe comes from an older Betty Crocker cookbook. If anyone is interested in it, I'll be happy to post it too.

We'd love for you to post your favorite recipe and link up in the First Annual Cookie Recipe Exchange. How you ask? It's super easy. Just hop on over to Sara's and link up. Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting. Please let me know if you try these and if they were a hit.

Peace and Joy,
Susan

Psalm 51:10 (NKJV)  10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,         And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

6 comments:

sara said...

Those sound delicious. I love oatmeal cookies and this sounds like a lovely twist!!

snickerdoodles are my husband's favorite!

Angie said...

Oh, yum! I make an amazing maple frosting that my family loves so anything along the maple idea is worth giving a try. These sound delicious! Thanks for sharing! I've got a party for my volunteers at work on Sunday and might give these a try.

Heidi said...

I've never made anything like the maple-walnut cookies, but I've sure made a ton of Snickerdoodles in my life! Blessings, Heidi

The Cyber Hermit said...

Oatmeal cookies are just about my favorite. *files recipe away for future use*

Skoots1moM said...

my husband is going to love these...he's a big maple fan

LuAnn said...

thanks Susan - these look great.